We’ve just passed the first day of summer and July 4th is almost here. As with most holiday weekends, many of us will be spending time with family and/or friends.
With that in mind, today’s recipe is a simple appetizer that’s easy to make and take to a picnic, potluck, holiday get-together, or anywhere else people are getting together and want to eat great food!
This fresh, zesty dish is full of flavor and so simple! There are some that like it as a salad but most, like me, serve it with scoops as a great alternative to salsa.
- 2 cans blackeyed peas (*drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans **shoepeg corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 jar pimentos (drained) or red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup onion chopped fine
- 1/2 green pepper chopped fine
- Optional: 1 jalepeno pepper, chopped fine (I make mine without)
*Easiest to pour all of the beans and corn into a large strainer and rinse all at once.
**I use Butter Kernel Gold and White Corn, but any corn will work
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Mix dip ingredients in large bowl and set aside.
Heat dressing ingredients in a small pan on stove – bring to a full boil. Remove from heat and pour over dip. Refrigerate for two hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
Serve and enjoy!