We Minnesotans are known for being nice. Many of us also like to think that we’re approachable, comfortable to be around, somewhat practical, and stylish but not overboard.
When it comes to our homes, especially the rooms where we spend a good portion of our time, we want them to be that way too. Approachable and comfortable. Family friendly, and not too stuffy or overdone.
This look and feel is what we’ve defined at Schneiderman’s as Minnesota Casual.
Susan Strong, interior designer and Merchandise Manager for Schneiderman’s, describes it this way:
“This style embraces casual comfort that is both inviting and family-friendly. The look combines warm colors with casual finishes to create approachable, comfortable homes for living in. ”
If you like the way that sounds, and are interested in getting the look, here are some key elements to keep in mind:
- Warm woods
- Casual finishes
- Simple, stylish furniture that is comfortable and practical
- Natural materials
- Warm and/or nature-inspired color palettes
- An interesting blend of texture and pattern
We’ve rounded up more inspiration for you to see this style in action:
1. A Minnesota Home – The Living Room
2. A Minnesota Casual Family Room
3. A Minnesota Casual Home – Family Room Part 2
4. A Minnesota Casual Dining Room
5. A Minnesota Casual Bedroom (3 Looks You’ll Love)